On Wednesday, July 10, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine signed a Memorandum with the European-Ukrainian Energy Agency and the Ukrainian Wind Energy Association (UAVE refused to sign the document) on the restructuring of the “green” tariff.
In the current situation and the existing “green tariffs”, the state now simply does not have enough money to pay for its obligations to investors in WPP and SPP. In addition, unstable generation of solar power plants creates imbalances in the country’s energy system.
So, the main points of the “Memorandum of Understanding to resolve problematic issues in the field of renewable energy.”
1. Restrictions for investors and owners of RES:
- for solar and wind power plants that were put into operation after 01/01/2020, the tariff will be reduced by 2.5%;
- for SPPs with a capacity of up to 1 MW, introduced from 07/01/2015 to 12/31/2019. the tariff reduction will be 15%. For solar stations up to 1 MW – by 10%;
- for wind power plants over 2 MW and put into operation from 07/01/2015 to 12/31/2019. “green tariff” will be reduced by 7.5%.
- the deadline for the introduction of solar power plants at the “green” tariff is June 31, 2020 (in the future, state support for stations will be provided only by participation in auctions)
- increased responsibility for renewable energy producers for unbalanced electricity generation (with errors of the level of 50% from 01/01/2021 and 100% – 01/01/2022).
For owners of home solar power plants (up to 30 kW), no changes in current tariffs and terms are expected!!!!
2. In return, the state promises:
- fully and timely pay for electricity from RES, starting from the month following the date of adoption of the Law on Amendments;
- pay off the debt of the Guaranteed Buyer state enterprise to the owners of solar power plants and wind farms by December 31, 2021 (in stages);
- develop and adopt quotas for supporting solar and wind energy, ensure transparent auctions for them;
- fix all these conditions and refuse to change them in the future;
- before 08/01/2020, adopt appropriate amendments to the laws to implement all the changes specified in the memorandum
The main foreign investors in the field of alternative energy confirmed their agreement with the points of the memorandum for the speedy solution of the problem of the renewable energy sector of Ukraine